Friday, January 13, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons... Make a Centerpiece!

I can't complain, this winter has been mild and snow-less...until tonight.  Although I have kind of missed a white winter, I'm not going to say I'm excited about the snow, ice, and horrible roads that are going to plague the next 3 months.

To bring a little color into the house (and to fill in the bare shelves after all the Christmas decor comes down) this easy, DIY centerpiece fits the bill.  


To be honest, the only reason I made it was to use up all the lemons I had before we go on vacation.  How much lemon water can someone drink?!  But really, making centerpieces out of leftover items is practical AND cheap. Oranges, cranberries, limes, and grapes come to mind...oh the possibilities.
To make this centerpiece like I did above, cut small slices in the lemon (discarding the ends)and layer in a rectangular or square vase. Poke a few flowers through the lemons and fill with water to the height of the flower stems.


The fruit doesn't need to be the same size or placed in a perfect row, the natural variance gives it character. 


So instead of throwing out those stale almonds, pour them into a large vase and put a pillar candle in the middle.   Have apples that look good on the outside but are mushy inside? Use them as place card holders!  Did you buy a watermelon that isn't sweet enough to eat? Carve out the innards and use it as a 'dish' to serve fruit.

What do you have in your house that is just waiting to be turned into a centerpiece or decor item?

5 comments:

debbie refresh restyle said... Best Blogger Tips

this is so pretty!
Debbie

FitnessBender said... Best Blogger Tips

So pretty! I have been resisting taking down my Christmas stuff (I know, it's pretty late!)but maybe some fun decorating projects will inspire me today. :)

Thanks for the idea!

malia said... Best Blogger Tips

hi coley! what a lovely and refreshing arrangement! we are getting dumped on with snow in seattle and your pretty centerpiece makes me think of spring! happy monday! xo

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

Pretty. Does it also give out a fresh lemony aroma?

Drew {Coral Cafe} said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh I love the lemons!! So pretty!