Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Clean (& Green) Cleaning Tip

My microwave and a bowl of leftover spaghetti got in a fight... and the spaghetti won. (Yes, I cover my food when putting it in the  micro, but somehow the cover fell off.)   

One thing I am passionate about it removing toxins from our everyday environment. One small way of doing this is replacing chemical-filled industrial cleaners with green, natural, and homemade cleaners.  This is perfect for the microwave because when you use harmful chemicals to clean it, residue is left over and when you use it to nuke your next meal, it can 'soak' into the food which you then consume.

Here is one of my tips that I will demonstrate on my filthy, spaghetti splattered microwave...
See how bad it is?


Here's the trick: 

 Using a microwave safe bowl, fill halfway with water and add 1/4 cup of lemon juice.


 Place in microwave and put on for 3 minutes or until it is steaming and condensation has built up.


All the steam will loosen the gunk, so one wipe with a paper towel (or re-usable rag) and it will come right off. Seriously, no scrubbing! 


TA DA! The easiest, cheapest, and greenest way to clean your microwave! 


You can use the leftover hot lemon-water to clean your counters, fridge, dishwasher, etc.

8 comments:

Bobi said... Best Blogger Tips

So cool! I think I'll go give this a try:)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Amazing! What a great tip! My hubby pretty much destroys all of my scrubbing of the microwave on a weekly basis. Totally going to give this a try!

Bird Bug Pug said... Best Blogger Tips

great idea! i actually did a post on my blog, look for it under the 'Around the House,' about how I've been living green, one of the ways is by cleaning with vinegar and baking soda. i will definitely have to try this next time my husband, ha, messes up my clean microwave... i've also always been concerned about using chemicals because it nukes food as well, which is already questionable :) great post

Coley said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes, it works wonderful ;)

Bug and Bird, I will check out your post. I clean with vinegar/bs ALL the time and was going to post on that too! How awesome!

Patty said... Best Blogger Tips

This is my favorite way to clean the microwave. And it doesn't smell bad either!

Michelle said... Best Blogger Tips

LOVING this!! I suddenly have an urge to go buy some lemon juice, haha!

Molly Kate said... Best Blogger Tips

Great idea!! Thank you! I'm going to have to try that. DH's popcorn butter got a bit overenthusiastic the other day. Hopefully it works just as well on butter as it does on spaghetti sauce.

newcombhome said... Best Blogger Tips

Great tip! I'm going to have to try this, ours is a mess! :)